To protect our students, teachers and schools with practical safety tools and practices.
This site is meant to be a resource for schools, communities, law enforcement, and others interested in ensuring schools are safer for our kids.
Safer Schools for Our Kids seeks to raise awareness for school officials about the different safety precautions that can be applied to their schools to keep students and staff safe.
- From 2000-2017, the FBI designated 250 active shooter incidents in the U.S. that resulted in 799 lives lost and 1,418 people injured.
- 20.8% of these shootings occurred in schools, 42% in commerce, 10% in government and 14% in open spaces, according to the FBI.
- In 2017, America experienced the highest number of both active shooter incidents and casualties in any year since 2000.
- Almost 60% of teenagers are very or somewhat worried about the possibility of a shooting happening at their school, according to Pew Charitable Trust.
School Safety Tools & Resources
Thanks to new techniques, innovations and technologies, schools can take measures now to be safer using a range of affordable options, including:
- Making plans and conducting trainings – see how-to videos and school safety articles
- Using new software apps to be prepared, enable communication and ensure you are ready to respond in an instant
- Adding barriers, such as ballistics protection in windows, doors, walls, desks or even in portable boards that fit into knapsacks and purses
- Developing better situational awareness and best practices with drills and community engagement